Different Stories

11/8/16

Time Watch -Chapter 3

Chapter 3:
So here I am; stuck, waiting forever. Actually, even though I’m outside, the sun hasn’t moved at all. Maybe it’s just a ceiling with a super-hot light bulb? Who knows.
“Grace!” ...Who was that? Am I hearing things? There’s nobody around!
“We’re coming for you!” Is that a threat? I stand up. Or, wait, it sounded like-
Thump! A girl in a pink dress with her hair up in braids falls from the sky and lands on her butt. For some reason, she looks like Elizabeth, but I know that Elizabeth would never be caught wearing a pink dress. A dress, maybe, or a pink shirt, maybe; but telling her to wear a pink dress? Death wish.
“What happened to you?” Elizabeth just stands up and waves at the sky. Then, like Rapunzel’s hair, a rope falls down. What’s the weather like today, Mike? Oh, some random ropes falling out of nowhere, with a ninety percent chance of climbing them. After we start climbing, which is really hard in Egyptian clothes, she answers my question. Her voice sounds groggy, like she hasn’t used it in a while. Or like she’d been crying.
“Same thing that happened to you. Banana. Unconsciousness. Then a death trap.”
“A princess-worthy death trap?”
“What? Oh, the dress. Haha. No. The hem was caught on a branch, and the trunk of the tree was covered in barbed wire.”
“Because you couldn’t just tear the dress and walk away.”
“Did I mention that I can’t fly? I was on an island, like, three feet long, and surrounded by hot water.” She looks down from her spot above me suspiciously. “No jokes.”
“Uh, no, you didn’t mention that.” We continue climbing. I can almost see where the rope came from, a small square in the middle of the sky. Maybe I was in a room? “So, how’d you escape?”
“. . . I can’t tell you.”
“Why-”
“No. We can’t talk about it.” So we continue to climb. We reach the trapdoor thing, and Abby helps us climb out. We come in from the window, which gives me some mild vertigo. Ally is there, but Rebecca is yet to be seen. The room we’re in is- my room, actually. What? Ally looks at me with big eyes so sad, the back of my throat hurts. Abby looks sullen too, and now that I look at her, so does Elizabeth. She’s just hiding it better.
“So,” I ask in a funny-confused voice to brighten the mood, “I just went from Ancient Egypt to my modern-day bedroom. Wanna share how? Also, where on earth is Rebecca?” Abby rubs at her eyes. Elizabeth mumbles something about her leaving already. “Okay, um, I guess I’ll just take Ally ho-”
“NO!!!” Their combined scream makes me take an involuntary step back. Okay, two.
“Um, never mind..?”
“Sorry,” Abby says through her hands, “that's a bad idea. I’ll go with you.” So apparently they don’t trust me on my own. Even though I’m older than Abby.

Everybody else left. They obviously don’t trust me, so I’ll have to make it up to them. I’m in my room, trying to make sense of what happened. Problem is, nothing makes sense. It’s a big problem. A watch sitting on my desk, one of Becca’s, makes me curious. Sure, curiosity killed the cat, but I don’t have a cat. So there.
Before I can think anything else, I pick up the watch and strap it on my wrist. I scroll the time setter, but without pushing it in, nothing happens. Soon a little thing pops up on the clock face.
Please pick a date it reads. So I do. Where? It shows a list, which I pick from. Scroll up for day, down for night! I scroll up.
Should I really be doing this? I mean, I don’t know if I can get back. . . The bubbles appear, my choice made. OW, this time traveling hurts. Slowly, as I get my vision back, the lands appear. The lands of sand, hot, fiery sand. I’ve made it to Egypt, again. This is my second chance. I’ll find out where that banana came from. Maybe I can’t stop Abby, but this is the best I can do. Looking around, I can see the convenience of my destination.
From a shady area, next to a building, I can see Ally sitting, and next to her is. . . me. I guess I hadn’t really thought of that. Yeesh. Did I glance this way? If I see me, then would that change what I do? This is not helping my head throbbing. I carefully press up on the nearby wall. Which way will the others come from? I can’t be seen. Soon, Abby, Rebecca, and Elizabeth show up.
“This is so good,” Becca tells them. Wow. Major Deja Vu. I watch as I (the past me) reaches into the basket. Abby snatches the Banana of Doom, and they all pass out. Okay, this is what I’m here for. A rider and his horse pulls up soon, and jumps off near the girls. Oddly, his clothes are almost modern, with a longsleeved shirt and pants. He reaches into his pockets, and pulls out a silver rectangle. The way he holds it, it almost looks like he was looking through it. And- what on earth . . . is that a phone?! No way, he has a phone. Ohhhh, boy. This is bad. Yea, he’s definitely taking a picture. I sneak closer to see the screen. Apparently finished, he opens a text contact and sends them the pictures. Then the modern guy climbs back on his horse, and spurs it away.
Why’d he do that? How could he do that? Did he have a watch too? Or maybe a different kind of time machine, if that even existed. Maybe it existed, and he was from even further from the future. Like, 2186 or something. If that was true, how did he know we were here. . .?
Wait. Bubbles start appearing around us, and getting bigger, before engulfing our unconscious selves. Except, these aren’t the pink-orange ones that I’ve seen before. These are a dark blue. Soon, Elizabeth and her bubble disappear, then Ally’s, then mine, and finally Abby, too, disappears, leaving me, alone, and very confused.
What am I supposed to do with this info? Just leave? Maybe it isn’t too late to follow that guy with the phone. Who am I kidding? I can’t even see him anymore! Ugh. Okay, just go. I look at my- wait. Where’s my-
“Looking for something?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Place your comment here! (For instance, YOU ARE AWESOME KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK or something like that.)